Friday, August 6, 2010

Reappearance

I will post more photos soon from my adventure.

Once upon a time, the thought of turning 30 at home was repellant to me. Luckily, I had a friend living in London, so I didn't have to. While wandering one day around the city, I happened upon an exhibit at the National Portrait Gallery called "Off the Beaten Track--Three Centuries of Women Travellers." There were portraits of the women themselves, some dressed as men or in native dress so they could travel in dangerous places incognito. There were sketches or photographs of the places they'd been. Many had traveled with their husbands and others had used it as an escape from bad marriages, spinsterhood, or Victorian society. One of my favorites is Isabella Bird. In the book I bought of the exhibit, it says, "Isabella Bird started travelling in her early twenties. Her first journeys, to North America, were undertaken to relieve her spinal problems and other illnesses. These mysteriously vanished when she went abroad, but reappeared each time she returned."

I have brought home with me a cold. This is not a reappearance of a previous illness, but as always there is a little let down now that I'm home. I wonder if this counts as "other illnesses." At least I know the remedy.

Should I segue this into a normal blog? "Utah and Deliver" doesn't quite have the same ring to it, but maybe I'll try.

2 comments:

  1. Blog away, your musings are like Calgon to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I love hearing about what you are doing in your adventureous life.

    ReplyDelete