Monday, August 2, 2010

Calculated Risks

At the green bazaar a few days ago, there were fresh raspberries and blackberries for sale. Some had been juiced and the deep purple juice put into big open bowls for sampling. Buying a drink from a vendor and using a shared glass is normal for the locals but as you can imagine, risky business for visitors. So I watched with a little disbelief as a backpack-ladened tourist sampled this juice from a vendor's glass, even catching a sneaky little dribble that had escaped and run down the outside. I realized Ella was watching too when we both gasped at the same time.

When I left home, I admit to some last minute nerves in the taxi going to the airport. To my ears, it still sounded so....strange that I was going to Tajikistan, but I hugged the cat, turned the key, looked around and thought, "See you in about 18,000 miles." I only hope that tourist's risk turned out as well as mine. But I doubt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment