Monday, July 5, 2010

Hello, Stuff

Bummer that I spent about one hour on Sunday composing a lovely post about a few people I've met so far only to find that it's not here. I'll have to do it again.

I got my luggage today!!! I almost cried I was so happy to see my things. I also moved into my "permanent" apartment, which is very close to the Ministry of Internal Affairs; I will commute by foot. I meet my students for the first time tomorrow morning, and I've been prepped to expect very stoic ones. I've been walking around the city a lot (thank goodness my travel shoes were Birkenstocks), and most people keep to themselves. In fact, just today a little boy reached out to grab me and that was the first time anyone had even touched me on the street. Men typically do not touch women even to shake hands. Yesterday afternoon, I walked by an older man sitting outside of his home, and he actually acknowledged me in the customary way of putting his right hand over his heart. That felt like progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment