Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I Taught the Law

My students are a mix of police officers, border patrol, national security agents, military intelligence, helicopter pilots, drug control agents, and teachers at the police academy. Several are women. I keep getting more students too. Today, some guy from Interpol asked about the classes, and four more are coming from another agency Thursday. Surprisingly, they all seem to be getting along fairly well. A couple of funny moments:

The helicopter pilot wore a t-shirt yesterday that said, "My daughter went to Afghanistan Operation Enduring Freedom and all I got was this lousy t-shirt." I'm sure he doesn't have a daughter old enough to go to Afghanistan, and it's a rather cheeky t-shirt for a military operation.

The military intelligence guy looks very boyish, but has a deep scar that runs diagonally from above his left eye to just above the bridge of his nose. He's very quiet and almost timid. In other words, not what I would expect from someone in military intelligence. I had his class look at one picture today, study it, turn it over, and then look at another similar picture and explain the differences. I thought it was very telling that he recognized some minute differences that no one else saw, including me, like one suitcase in the picture had teeny wheels added.

I'm starting to feel how short my time really is here, but it's encouraging that so many students are eager. Hopefully there will be another teacher here in the fall to continue on with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment