Monday, July 19, 2010

Stolen

Kudos to Cousin Emily for managing things for me at home, including my cat who finds it necessary to bring home live birds on a regular basis. His most recent were two chicks (one for Emily and one for her friend; he's very thoughtful) that look like baby platypuses from the picture. Sorry, baby birds, apparently even the Cat Bib (google it) won't stop him. Way to be brave, Emily and friend.

One of the best moments of my teaching day happens when my classes are finished. Two female students, both police officers, help me lock up, and then they walk me out to the security gate. We walk and we talk and we share. I'm just as curious about them as they are about me. One is married with two children and gets one day off a week. With that day off yesterday, she made strawberry jam. The other is single, but in the process of deciding her future. I was prepped by Mimi and Ella about the fact that there is a sort of unofficial polygamy here. Many men have a first wife that they've legally and religiously married, and then another usually younger woman that they've either married religiously or just become involved with on the side. So when I asked my sweet, rather guileless unmarried student if she had a boyfriend, I was a little surprised when she told me she had two, but I was not surprised when she told me the first, who she loves, is married with children. The second, a doctor in Moscow, wants to marry her. We've been referring to them as #1 and #2. When I asked her if #1 and #2 know about each other, she nearly passed out at the idea. So, no. #2 has returned to visit and is waiting for her answer. If she goes to Moscow, she will be far from family and friends and will no longer be a police officer. If she stays here, she will have a job, her family, and friends, but not the man that she loves. Well, not really at least. Today, she told me she had decided on #2. May #2 be worthy of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment