Thursday, July 15, 2010

Observations

I'm a morning person in Dushanbe to the tune of 5:45-6:00am every morning. This is a small miracle brought about by the construction next door. If only it would last (getting up early, not the construction).

My iPod Touch is another little miracle. I use it to read (I read this week's Sunday School lesson while at dinner last night and phew for what the younger people advise Rehoboam to say to his people), listen to podcasts, learn a little Russian, email, look at pictures, and listen to music. It was worth every penny.

After traveling to two countries in as many months, I have absolutely forgotten the PIN to my ATM card. Oops. Not even visualizing a trip to the grocery store at home to purchase a few items will bring it back. Thank goodness for cash advances on credit cards!

I'm so glad I packed my Pilates DVD, not so sure about the summer scarves.

I taught my students vocabulary words today that included taser, holster, and bulletproof vest. Awesome. The classes are going quite a bit differently than I had envisioned, but that's ESL, and I think it's working out better for the students. They need working, functional language now. I haven't used the Highlights magazines I brought :). Not much practical law enforcement language there.

Enough about me. More of Dushanbe.

The unibrow is popular here (think Frida Kahlo),especially as a sign of purity with some women; I've even seen some who have drawn one in. Apparently, you only pluck once you've...well...

I went to an American-style cafe yesterday. I knew I was in the right place when I walked in and three apple laptops stared back at me. Judging by the menu and inventory, the two most important things to Americans are Starbuck's coffee and peanut butter.

There are a surprising number of tourists here. There is a remote mountain region called the Pamirs that I understand most are going to. It takes 18 hours to get there by four wheel drive vehicle because the road is so rugged, or it's possible to go byplane if there is no cloud cover, which is iffy at best. You should look it up. The pictures look amazing.

Me

3 comments:

  1. Keep on writing, Erin.. I'm following your blog. Put more photos...
    Have a nice day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Unibrows, men serving women food, and barf detergent. It sounds like an adventure.

    Also, I've been collecting postcards since I was a just a little military brat. I've got a nice variety of countries around the world, but nothing from Tajikistan. Would you mind sending me one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa,
    I haven't heard great things about the postal system. If all else fails, I'll send you one from home? Email me your address.

    ReplyDelete