Thursday, July 15, 2010

Observations II

I realized I forgot a few:

If you didn't see my status update, there's a laundry detergent here named "Barf". I have since learned that this means "white" in Farsi and is produced in Iran. Let's hope they get some rebranding help should they ever decide to move into western markets.

I have been told that in Tajikstan a woman who is thirty-five, unmarried and childless is viewed as disabled, like she's missing an arm or a leg.

I've seen mothers dressed less conservatively than their daughters. The mother might just have a scarf tied loosely around her hair, but the daughter's hair is completely tucked away under a full head covering. A sign of the times they've grown up in.

And by far my favorite quote so far....Ella said this evening after a nice dinner and long chat, "Let's do this again tomorrow night if we aren't having any stomach problems." Isn't there some old adage about things not seeming so bad if you know others are experiencing the same thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment